The Story of the Mirauculus Host that turned into bleeding flesh at Lanciano in the year 1273, and that is now worshippedin Offida, is properly documented in a parchment of that period of which the original, unfortunately, is not to be found, but it is preserved an authenticated copy made by a notary in 1788.
This is how the story - of the extraordinary event - goes: in the town of Lanciano, a woman named Ricciarella, wife of a so called Giacomo Stasio, to win back her husband's love followed the advice of a witch who recommended her receive Holy Communion and secretely to bring home the Holy Host.
Then after, she set a fire in a piece of tiled roof and threw in the Holy Host to pulverize it and give it later to her husband mixed up with his meal and drinks. But in the making, the sacred Host turns into flesh and began to bleed. She tried to stop the bleeding to not avail,and terrified she wrapped the piece of tiled roof with the bleeding Host in a linen blanket and buried it under some manure in the stable.
Seven years later, Ricciarella, still bother by remorse confessed her terrible sacrilege to the augustinian priest Giacomo Diotallevi, native of Offida, who at the time was the prior of the Augustinian in Lanciano. He when out to the place the bundle had been buried and miraculously finds the Host intact; took it and give the precious relic to his fellow citizens of Offida.The people of Offida to preserve the Holy Host, got themselves a reliquary shape in the form of a cross, expressly made by a Venice's goldsmith, and keep it there up to this day in the shrine of Saint Augustine Church, along with the piece of tiled roof and the blood-stained linen blanket. Besides the XIII century parchment, that give account of the story, there are many others documents that confirms the veracity of the miracle and its continuous worship throughout the centuries.
As a matter of fact, there are various papal's bulletines, beginning with the one of Pope Bonifacio VIII, dated September 20 1295, and others from Pope Giulio II; Pope Saint Pius V; Pope Gregory XIII; Pope Sixto v; Pope Paul IV and Pope Pius IX. There are also records of interventions of roman congregations; episcopal decrees of the archbishop of Lanciano and the bishop of Ascoli; statutes from the Commune of Offida, going back to the XV century; votive gifts, the oldest from the XIV century and among them two papal's rings with tiara bearing and crossed keys, one donated by Pope Pius II and the other by Pope Paul II, there are also epigraphs, inscriptions, memorial tablets and the wall painting by Ugolino di Ilario, in the S.S. Corporal Chapel of the cathedral of Orvieto, explainning the miracle of Offida.
The religious and civil history of Offida is linked to the famous sanctuary and its prodigy, for which the town could be justly culled:"City of the Holy Sacrament".